Light and fluffy ricotta gnocchi topped with a rich and cheesy tomato sauce. This recipe is easy to make and a family favourite in our home.
- 1 container Ricotta cheese
- 2 farm fresh organic eggs
- 1/2 cup good quality freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can diced organic tomatoes
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 basil leaves, finely shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small zucchini – sliced or cubed
- 1 red bell pepper – sliced or cubed
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small chunks
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Mix until evenly combined.
- Stir in 1 cup of flour. Add additional flour if needed to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 3 or 4 pieces, and roll into 1/2-inch-thick ropes on a floured surface.
- Gently cut each rope into 1-inch pieces, and place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Stir in fresh garlic, and cook until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add zucchini and bell peppers.
- Pour in diced tomatoes and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat (about 10 minutes)
- Stir in shredded basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Boil gnocchi until they float to the surface (1 to 2 minutes)
- Drain gently in a strainer or remove from water with a slotted spoon.
- Stir the cubed mozzarella cheese into the tomato sauce and allow the heat of the sauce to soften, but not melt the cheese.
- Place gnocchi into a serving bowl, and spoon sauce overtop.
- Garnish with fresh basil and more grated cheese.