Tacos are easy to make and fun to eat! We love this recipe – the tender fish, crunchy and spicy slaw is a family favourite in our home. If you have the time, we also recommend making homemade tortillas.
- 1 small cabbage, shredded (we like to use purple cabbage for color and crunch)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño – seeded and chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lime – juiced
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- Dash of agave
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cups panko
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 pounds of white fish. We love halibut, snapper or sole
- 12 corn or wheat tortillas
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Plain yogurt
- Hot sauce
- To prepare the zesty slaw, place shredded cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Massage and squeeze the cabbage with your hands to help it release its liquid and begin wilting.
- Add the grated carrot, green onions, and jalapeño. Toss to combine.
- Whisk together the minced garlic, lime juice, and mayonnaise. Taste and add a sweetener, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour over the cabbage mix and toss to combine. Set aside for service
- To prepare the fish, combine panko, salt, pepper, and paprika in a shallow container.
- Cut the fish lengthwise into small fish stick type piece.
- Wash the fish and pat dry.
- In a second shallow dish, whisk the egg, dijon mustard and salt and pepper.
- Dip fish pieces into egg mixture – then immediately dredge with panko mixture.
- Place fish on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake fish at 350 until panko is golden brown. Avoid over cooking the fish.
- Heat tortillas in a heavy, dry pan, until soft and warm. Wrap them in a clean cloth as you go.
- Serve the fish on a platter with the tortillas, slaw, cilantro, avocado, lime, yogurt and hot sauce on the side.
- You and your guests can build your own taco! Enjoy!