This is a wonderful breakfast recipe for the weekend. Prepare it the night before and bake in the morning. Your family or your guests will love the creamy caramel, crunchy pecans and fresh orange flavours.
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup whole or chopped raw pecans
- 1 loaf of French bread cut into 3/4″ slices
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup fresh orange juice – use our OXO Citrus Juicer
- 1/2 cup organic 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 organic egg whites
- 2 whole organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar for dusting
- In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, melted butter, and corn syrup.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Spring pecans over sugar and butter mixture.
- Place bread slices on top of the pecans and sugar. Make sure that the bread is in a single layer and that they are snug in the dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk the orange zest, orange juice, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, egg whites, and eggs.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread. Using a bakers spatula light press on the bread to help the bread absorb the eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Remove baking dish from fridge, uncover and let it rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown.
- Gently lift bread slices from dish, dust with icing sugar and enjoy!